This article is brought to you by Maryland Injury Guys, the personal injury attorneys of Abingdon. We encourage residents and visitors to learn more about the history and landmarks in the area.
Abingdon is a census-designated place (CDP) in the county of Harford, Maryland. It is located 25 miles northeast of Baltimore, near the Bush River, between the 77th and 80th exits of Interstate 95. The area of Abingdon was founded by the third Governor of Maryland and signer of the Declaration of Independence, William Paca, who was also born there. It was named after the historic market town and civil parish of Abington, England. In 1979, a historic home called Woodside was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). In 1991, the Nelson-Reardon-Kennard House was also listed on the NRHP.
Woodside is a historic home built in 1823. Situated on Singer Rd., the 2 and 1/2-story home is a fine example of a Federal side hall and double parlor plan house. It was constructed from coursed fieldstone and ashlar. The 44 acres property includes a stone house with an overhanging gable roof, a shed-roofed frame storage building, a hand pump, an 1848 log barn, a 1928 frame corn crib, and three early 1900s garages.
The Nelson-Reardon-Kennard House was built in 1785 by Jacob Bull. Also known as the Methodist Parsonage, the historic home lies on 2.5 acres of land in Abingdon, on Philadelphia Rd. The two-part frame house includes a five-bay, two-story front section and a three-bay, one-room rear service wing. In 1888, a front porch was added to the house. Nelson-Reardon-Kennard House is the oldest documented frame dwelling in Harford County.
Cokesbury College was founded in 1787 as the first Methodist college in the U.S. Its name was a combination of Thomas Cook and Francis Asbury – the first two ordained Methodist bishops in America. The college opened in December 1787 with three instructors and 25 students. The first president of the college was Mr. Heath. Among the many professors who have taught at the college, there was Charles Tate – a federal judge and U.S. senator from Georgia. In 1794, the state of Maryland granted a charter for the college. On December 4, 1795, Cokesbury College burned downed. It was then moved to a large vacant building in Baltimore, but that also burned down on December 4, 1796. The college then ceased to exist.
However, the church that served as the chapel for the college survived. Previously known as Abingdon Methodist Chapel, Cokesbury United Methodist Church was built on land purchased by John Paca in 1782. In 1784, the partially brick and mostly wooden structure church was opened for worship. It was burned down in 1896, and the new present brick church was immediately erected on the original foundation. Services began in the fall of 1896. In July 2009, the church welcomed its first full-time Pastor, Frankie Allen Revell.
Learn more: The Historical Timeline of Chase, MD
Have you or a loved one been a victim due to negligence from another person or entity? Contact our personal injury attorneys of Abingdon to secure the financial compensation you deserve. Call now for a free case evaluation.
Maryland Injury Guys
1308 Eastern Blvd #2-A,
Essex, MD 21221 USA