This article is sponsored by Maryland Injury Guys, the car accident attorneys of Joppa. See how the community of Joppatowne came to be.
Joppatowne is a census-designated place (CDP) in the southwestern portion of Harford County, Maryland. It was established as a planned unit development (PUD) in 1961 and is covered by the "Joppa" zip code of 21085. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 12,616 people. Part of the "Joppa" designated planning region of Harford County, Jopppatowne and Joppa got their name from the original town of "Joppa."
Founded in 1707 as a British settlement, the original town of Joppa was a major seaport and commercial hub in the 1700s. Its harbor on the Gunpowder River could accommodate the largest ships during that era. Its international tobacco trading business made it the most important commercial center in Maryland and one of the busiest ports in the west. The town was also a vital hub for land transportation. As the original terminus for Joppa Road, it is said to be the designation for all roads.
From 1712 to 1768, Joppa was the county seat of Baltimore County. As the primary point-of-entry for the state and county seat for its most populated county, the town of Joppa became the focus of all aspects of colonial life in central Maryland. It was ground-zero for politics and elections and the hub for all media and communications. However, by the end of the 18th century, Joppa's harbor had silt up because of the agricultural and land development happening upstream. After the county seat was moved to Baltimore, Joppa went into decline and was mostly abandoned by 1814.
In 1768 Benjamin Rumsey, the first Chief Judge of the Maryland Court Appeals, married the widow of the primary planter and landowner in Joppa, Colonel James Maxwell. In 1771, he relocated to Joppa after renovating the "Rumsey Mansion" that was built by Col. Maxwell between 1720 and 1724. Rumsey went on to acquire all the land of Joppa town and its surrounding areas. This large estate became a slave plantation known as "Joppa Farm."
After his death in 1808, Joppa Farm was passed to his son John Beal Rumsey and his grandson Charles Henry Rumsey. After the death of C.H. Rumsey, Joppa Farm was purchased by a few more owners until it was acquired in 1961 by the Panitz Brothers Company, who developed it into the planned community Joppatowne.
The only original structure that is still remaining from the Joppa period is the Rumsey Mansion. On August 24, 1979, the Old Joppa Site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as an archeological site. Building foundations and gravesites are still visible on the property of the Church of the Resurrection.
Mariner Point Park is a park located in the southern part of Joppatowne on Kearney Dr. It is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Catering to the residents and visitors of the area, the park offers four ramps, a soft launch, accommodations for larger boats and concrete ramps. Amenities featured at Mariner Point Park are a welcome center, pavilions, a picnic area, grills, a playground, a volleyball court, horseshoe pits, walking trails and fishing piers.
Joppatowne Plaza is a shopping mall serving the community of Joppatowne. It is situated on the corner of Joppa Farm Rd. and Pulaski Hwy. Some specialty stores and dining options provided at the plaza are Joppa Market Place, GamerZ Paradise, New Chinese Boys, Bank of America, Dollar Tree, Towne Grill & pub, Redner's Warehouse Markets, Amish Farmers Market, Beautiful Purses and Jewelry, MCW PRO WRESTLING and Floors At Ur Door.
Learn more about the area including Discovering Upper Falls, Maryland.
Have you been injured in a car accident? Contact our Joppa car accident lawyers to secure the compensation you deserve. Schedule your free consultation today.
Maryland Injury Guys
1308 Eastern Blvd #2-A,
Essex, MD 21221